The Magic Porridge Pot
This is the story of two sisters who are entrusted with a magic porridge pot – lots of stirring and gloopy golden porridge! Here are a few ideas for activities, linked to this story, in lockdown in Becky’s house we really went to town with these porridge based activities, and the porridge tasting platter was a GREAT hit!
- Can you make a magic porridge? Maybe by gathering twigs, leaves and mud in the garden and mixing up!
- If you’re real porridge fans, how about you mix your normal porridge up to make it magical? We tried a porridge platter, with bowls of porridge ready for breakfast with different ‘magical’ toppings to experiment with what’s our favourite – we tried peanut butter, fruit, nuts but – would you believe it – chocolate spread was the winner 😂
- You could make a good ‘porridge oats’ sensory play with jugs and cups to pour, small toys and houses to bury in it (like in the village in the story you can bury them!)
Arts and crafts:
- Less arts and crafts – but these are delicious oat biscuits https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/oat-biscuits-0
- There are some colouring sheets and stick puppet cut outs available on Twinkl – https://www.twinkl.co.uk/search?term=the+magic+porridge+pot
Music and Listening:
- Another lovely BBC Teach radio EYFS podcast about this song – c. 15 minutes long, gentle and lovely for some quiet time – https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/school-radio/eyfs-listen-and-play-magic-porridge-pot/z4cgscw
- Here’s another version of the story from Ladybird Classics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gleDVbPFww
- As a kid this was one of my FAVOURITE picture books and is on a similar theme with abundant spaghetti instead of porridge! Strega Nona: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULUG8IIo9-8
- Another version here to read: https://www.bedtimeshortstories.com/magic-porridge-pot-story