Five Little Ducks
Less a traditional tale this one, but a story based on the ‘five little ducks went swimming one day’ nursery rhyme, as we explore where the ducks might have gone…
- Make a ‘pond’ based play tray for some good old fashioned water play. If you don’t have many rubber ducks to float on it, you could see if you could try to make some sort of DIY ‘hook a duck’ game – I’m thinking print out and float them on milk bottle tops in the water with pipe cleaner hooks…
Arts and crafts:
- There are a lot of cute duck crafts found online, mainly using paper plates which you may not have at home… you could do something painty like this: https://www.craftymorning.com/duck-handprint-craft-kids/
- If this isn’t already part of your life already, then I sort of apologise for bringing the ‘Duck Song’ (and the many other versions…) to your attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q
- Lovely Cat from Little Folk Nursery Rhymes shares her version of the five little ducks song on this short c. 2 minute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjzJMJjSE4o
- Here are some cute ducklings : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvBniBpGkkc (c. 3 minutes)
- And for some more ‘awwws’ here’s a cat adopting some baby ducklings (c. 2 minutes)
- Here’s a version of the ‘Ugly Duckling’ story you can print out for older reading kids: https://www.dltk-teach.com/fairy-tales/ugly-duckling/story.htm
- You could try and do a duck book box and find any stories with ducks in that you have at home!
- Less active really – this is a cosmic yoga 5 minute ‘zen den’ meditation video – ‘be the pond’ is my tenuous link to the theme as it’s a way of imagining our feelings, but actually it’s a lovely short meditation, lovely to do just before teatime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf5K3pP2IUQ
Educational (probably best for slightly older kids):
- Can you write your own version for where the ducks may have gone? You could also make a LOST poster and describe the ducks.
- DUCKS: Lots of duck related bits and bobs on twinkl too…